100% experience Bonus, Sets Torment only, monster exp nerfs, wings out for digital, Guaranteed Legendary Changes 61 Diablo to Malthael
Bumper crop of news
(and wings have been patched in for digital preorders)
This is it! We’re unleashing Diablo III: Reaper of Souls™ for Windows and Mac on March 25. To celebrate—this weekend only—we’re doubling down on the +50% Bonus XP that’s already available in Diablo III, and boosting it all the way to +100% Bonus XP.
This +100% Bonus XP period begins Friday, March 21 at 12:00 p.m. PT ends on Monday, March 24 at 12:01 a.m. PT. So, (if you need to) update your Diablo III game files here, log in this weekend, and rack up some last-minute Paragon Levels to aid you in your upcoming crusade against death itself.
All class set items will now only drop in Torment I or above.
We’ve been listening to player feedback on difficulty rewards, and one of the most frequent comments we receive is that Torment difficulty isn’t rewarding enough. As a result, we’ve reached the decision to make class-specific sets, specifically Natalya’s, Immortal Kings, Tal Rasha’s, Inna’s, and Zunimassa’s, drop only in Torment I or above from this point forward.
The class sets weren’t designed as a progression, but rather as a lateral choice between different play styles. It makes sense for all of them to be obtained at the same difficulty level, alongside the other sets that will be available at 70 in Torment I+. This should also make these very strong items a little bit more rare, and when you reach level 70 and you see someone wearing a full set, you’ll know the level of play they needed to reach in order to acquire those items.
The reward level of each difficulty setting and how they feel is very important to us, and it’s something we’ll continue to observe and tweak as we enter the expansion.
Reduced the amount of experience granted by monsters with lower than average health pools.
It took us some time to evaluate whether or not we wanted to alter some of the current most popular runs. Our baseline for comparison for these alternative runs is to see how they stack up versus Adventure Mode and Bounty runs, and these different types of play should be on par (or at least fairly close). After extensive testing, we were finding this wasn’t the case and came to the decision to make these changes. It’s a decision we wrestled with for a while, but ultimately, we want to avoid situations where the most efficient game play isn’t necessarily the most engaging and our investigations revealed this to be that kind of situation. We want a larger variety, rather than only one or two particular routes, to be the most rewarding way to play.
On a related note, we know a lot of you are still preparing for the launch of Reaper of Souls, so we’re also upping the ante on the Community bonus experience event. Starting right now and for this weekend only, the bonus experience provided will be upped from 50% to 100%. This should help you get all your nephalem heroes leveled and geared up for the battle against Malthael!
Diablo will still drop a bonus Legendary item for level 60 players after Reaper of Souls goes live. However, there is a little more to it than that. Diablo will stop dropping a bonus Legendary item once a player reaches level 61+, but Malthael will start dropping them at that point. It will still require players to use the Reset Quest feature, too.
There’s a lot of new information out there regarding Bonus Legendary items, Quest Reset, and First Kill drops, and it certainly raises a lot of questions. I made a post a little while back that helps clarify some of these points, so I’m going to quote it below to help spread the word.
First Kill Legendary Items
- These will drop for characters from levels 1-59.
- They will only drop from end of Act bosses (Butcher, Belial, Azmodan, Diablo, and eventually Malthael).
- Characters below level 11 are unlikely to find Legendary items, because they have a minimum level requirement. Currently there are no Legendary items available below level 11.
- Using the Reset Quest feature will reset the First Kill Legendary Item drops as well, but only for characters in the appropriate level range.
Reset Quest Bonus Legendary
- Skeleton King dropping a Bonus Legendary was a bug that has been corrected, as it was not intended. We liked the idea, though, so we’ve gone ahead and added a Bonus Legendary to Diablo.
- These are an intended bonus for maximum level characters. Currently there is a bug that allows characters levels 1-59 to receive a Bonus Legendary item in addition to the First Kill Legendary item when they kill Diablo, but this is not intended.
- The Bonus Legendary is only available if you use the Reset Quest feature.
- We plan on moving the Bonus Legendary to Malthael for players level 61+ when the expansion arrives. Additionally, Diablo will no longer drop a Bonus Legendary for players level 61+.
In celebration of the launch of Reaper of Souls™, anyone who purchases $66.60 or more worth of loot from our official online store will receive an adorable Funko POP! Vinyl Diablo or Tyrael. GLORIOUS!